Five Easy Steps to Squeaky Clean Brushes

Have a quick think about the last time you washed your brushes. Can you even remember when it was? If it's too long ago that you can't remember, give yourself a smack on the hand and apologise to your face. If you can remember and it wasn't six months ago then go you!!

Keeping your makeup brushes and tools clean is essential! There have been so many times I've seen people using dirty brushes or sponges on their face making every fibre in my body scream. Brushes and the ever popular beauty sponge can harbour acne causing bacteria that just can't wait to settle on your face and start making pimples.



I totally get that cleaning your makeup brushes can seem like a chore, but there are so many products on the market making it quick and easy exercise! So to hopefully inspire some of you, below is a step by step guide on how I clean my makeup brushes, which not only makes them perform better but keeps my skin happy.

Step 1:

Wet your brush under warm water. Squeeze out the excess.

Step 2:

Apply your brush cleaner. I use the XO Beauty Solid brush cleaner, because it's the one I have on hand and also I like to support New Zealand companies who are cruelty free!! However, there are plenty of options on the market that are affordable, or if you are in a real pinch, shampoo or face wash also does the job.

Step 3:

Swirl your brush in the palm of your hand to lather the soap between the bristles. You can purchase brush mats that have ridges to help deep clean brushes but honestly I think my hand does a pretty decent job.

Step 4:

Rinse the soap out of your brush using running water. Don't wash and rinse them in the same water as that defeats the purpose of cleaning them, you want to be using clean water so that you remove all the nasties. If your brush still has product after the first wash, give it another quick wash to ensure you remove all the product. I find that my foundation brush often takes two washes.

Step 5:

Squeeze the excess water out of your brushes and lay them on a towel or surface so they can air dry. Once they are dry give them a little fluff with clean hands to put any wonky bristles back into place. If you find some are stubborn, wet the brush again and shape it while it is wet, before drying.

Ta da, clean brushes! That wasn't so bad now was it?!
Now that you know how to do it, you have no excuse to not keep your brushes squeaky clean.
I try to give mine a weekly clean but I'm no saint and it's realistically every fortnight.

If you want to check out the brush cleaner I use, you can find it here: XO Beauty
Here are also a few other affordable cruelty free brush cleaners that may take your fancy:
Bon Bon VeganMakeup Revolution

Thank you for reading!

- B x

Comments