L'oreal Clay Masks: Are They Worth The Hype?

I've seen these masks popping up on social media and apparently one reason is because Kylie Jenner is a fan of the charcoal mask. But I take anything celebrities endorse with a grain of salt and like to make my own opinions. So I went and purchased the charcoal mask to see if it could help de-gunk my skin. I didn't purchase the other two because I wasn't going to drop $60 without paying my rent first and well my boyfriend would have looked at me like I was crazy for wanting three pots of face mask. But honestly who doesn't secretly want that much face mask?!

Okay so let me quickly give you the specs of the product.
Size: 50ml/1.69oz 
Price: rrp $20 - $24.99 (I purchased mine from Farmers for $19.99)
Types: Charcoal (Detoxifies & Brightens), Red Algae (Exfoliates & Smoothes) and Eucalyptus (Purifies & Mattifies).

So L'oreal combined three pure clays, Kaolin, Montmorillonite and Ghassoul to create the base for these masks. The special ingredients such as the charcoal in the one I purchased, is added for its specific skin care purpose. The charcoal is supposed to help draw out toxins from the skin using its magnetic properties while also brightening the skin. Which sounds pretty great to me!

The clays themselves have individual qualities that all help towards beautiful skin. The Kaolin and Ghassoul absorbs oils and impurities while the Montmorillonite (don't ask me to say that out loud) purifies and rebalances the skin while reducing imperfections. I also want to point out that because all three of the masks have the same three clays which means that the only difference is the special ingredient which is added.

I apply this mask on clean dry skin in a smooth even layer, I just use my fingers for this as I find it easier to spread the product around. The consistency in the jar is almost like a gel which makes it hard to scoop out enough product for my whole face the first time around meaning I have to dip back in for more, which can be a bit of a pain. The mask dries super quickly so you have to work fast to spread it around. Oh and top tip, make sure you put the lid back on the product while you are applying so that it doesn't dry out.
I leave it on for around 20 minutes, the packaging says 10-15 minutes but I never time how long my face masks are on. I leave them on until I feel like they have worked their magic or to be honest when I can summon the energy to get off the couch.
I then rinse it off with warm running water and  pat my face dry with a towel. Then apply your fav moisturiser.
I find that this mask came off super easy unlike other clay masks I have tried, where you spend half your time trying to remove it and then realising you still have some on your nose or in your hairline.

The few brightening masks I've used have never made a noticeable difference to my skin, but this guy gives me visible results. I originally brought this mask for the detoxification aspect and the fact that it brightened was just a nice perk, but now I'm in love with it for both reasons. Once the mask is dry you can see all the oil it has pulled out of your pores which for me is especially visible in my t-zone. I also noticed a difference with the blackheads on my nose when removing this, they looked almost invisible which was a nice sight because I've had those things since I was about 13 years old 😒

This mask is now sitting front and center with my other favourites. So I can proudly say money well spent on this one. I would most likely repurchase this and am tempted to try out the Eucalyptus one also to see if it is just as good.

If you have any suggestions for masks I should try in the future or any feedback please leave it in a comment below! I would love to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, it's much appreciated ❤

- B x






Comments